Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
I am not much of a casserole maker, but I am starting to like the idea of it all. Making a one dish meal to feed the whole family sounds very appealing lately, especially having two children, throwing everything together in one dish and be done sounds pretty awesome to me!
This recipe is a pretty easy one. Made with ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and the freezer. At least I did. It’s a hearty meal, with chicken, mushrooms, corn, and green peas. For the creamy sauce, you combine some mayo and cream of chicken soup.
This casserole is creamy and cheesy. I loved the flavors and so did the children. My 1 year old would eat anything with rice so this meal was like a heaven on a plate.
So here was my real first attempt in making a casserole dish (can you believe this?) and it was a success and I will definitely make it again! Happy weekend, everyone!
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice (or use rice-a-roni)
- 2-4 chicken breasts, cooked, cut to bite sizes
- 1 cup (8 oz) white mushrooms, sliced, cooked and drained
- ½ cup frozen corn
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup lite mayonnaise
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup grated or shredded Cheddar cheese
- Spread cooked rice on bottom of greased (sprayed with cooking spray) baking dish (13×9-inch or you could use a smaller dish if you’d like) evenly. Add cooked mushrooms with frozen corn and peas and stir to mix.
- Spread cooked chicken over the top of rice mixture.
- Make the sauce by combining mayo, cream of chicken soup, and lemon (or lime) juice in a bowl.
- Spread the sauce over the chicken.
- Spread cheddar cheese over top of soup mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. or until cheese melts and sides are bubbly. Cool 10 minutes before serving.