I have many “tried-and-true” recipes that I love and adore… and this is one of them. I really like cream cheese in main dishes and I love the combination of chicken and cream cheese together. I used to go to Taco Time when I was going to college in Idaho (It’s so sad that we don’t have Taco Time here in Northern California) and they had my favorite crispy burritos that tasted similar to this recipe.
Like I said in many of my posts, I rarely deep fry anything. So I always try to find a way to bake instead of frying. These burritos are baked and crispy.
I think that what might have made these burritos even better is a jalapeno ranch dressing that Taco Time has. I need to find a good recipe for that soon! But normal ranch or sour cream would make a great dressing for these burritos.
These burritos are stuffed with shredded chicken, cream cheese, green salsa, green onions, cheese and yummy spices. I think next time, I’d like to try these with beef or even shrimp!
These are super easy to make, too. The only complaint I have is shredding the chicken. I hate shredding chicken. It takes time but once the chicken is a little cooled off, then it’s much easier to shred it. I wish there was a kitchen gadget that shreds chicken… ha ha
Shred the cooked chicken thinly, add cream cheese, cheese, and the rest of the ingredients. Place about 1/2 cupful of the chicken filling on a tortilla and roll it tight. Brushing water on the edges of the tortilla will help with tight sealing, too. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- small to medium sized flour tortillas
- kosher salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray the pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and garlic. Mix them well with a spoon and stir in the cilantro and green onions. Add the chicken and cheese; mix thoroughly. (To cook chicken, boil thawed chicken over medium high heat until cooked through. Shred the chicken using two forks or using hands.)
- Working with about 3-4 tortillas at a time, heat them in the microwave between two paper towels until they are soft enough to roll, about 20 seconds.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can.
- Place the rolled tortilla seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Make sure the burritos are not touching each other in the pan. Spray the tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. Serve with sour cream or your favorite Mexican style topping.
Don't miss a post!