When our friends dropped off a bagful of fresh peaches (off of their peach tree in their backyard!) for us, I was eager to make a treat with them! I love desserts made with fresh peaches!
I found this delicious recipe on Food Network; It’s Ina Garten’s recipe. I’d always made peach cobblers before but never a cake with peaches so I was curious how it might turn out.
And it was amazing! I loved how moist and tasty it was! The peaches in the cake are definitely the highlight of the cake. The kids loved it, too, and as a mom, that’s how I know whether or not a recipe was a huge success or a failure.
You will need 3 large fresh peaches to make this cake; but I think you could even use more if you really like peaches. Peel and cut them in slices.
Make cake batter; spread it on the bottom, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then peaches, and cinnamon sugar again.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until the cake is baked through. Don’t overbake or the cake will be a little dry.
I drizzled with warm caramel sauce and it was just perfect!
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature (I used salted butter and omitted salt)
- 1½ cup sugar, divided
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature (I used plain greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large, ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- (optional) warm caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan. (I used a 9-inch round cake pan instead)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar for 3 to 5 minutes on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, then the sour cream and vanilla, and mix until the batter is smooth. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix just until combined. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Spread half of the batter evenly in the pan. Top with half of the peaches, then sprinkle with two-thirds of the sugar mixture. Spread the remaining batter on top, arrange the remaining peaches on top, and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture and the pecans.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature. (do not overbake)
- Drizzle with warm caramel sauce if desired.
Don't miss a post!