I can’t help it. I love Chinese food. I was tempted to go out to a Chinese restaurant today and get some take out. But instead, I decided to make some at home. That way, I won’t overeat and the calories would be a little more manageable.
And I am sure glad I did. I saw this recipe HERE and I knew instantly that I needed to try it. I’m a sucker for fried, sweet chicken dish. Although I am not a huge fan of frying things at home – this recipe looked too good to pass up. So I took out my fryer and fried the crap out of the chicken.
I really enjoyed this chicken – since my five-year-old is not a big fan of sticky sauces, I gave him the chicken without the sauce. And he loved them! I tried a bite of the plain chicken, too, and they were flavorful and delicious.
But of course, the shiny and sticky honey sauce makes everything better. Definitely great with steamed white rice. I love it when the rice gets stuck to the chicken because of the sticky sauce – it is fabulous!
That’s it, I had a yummy lunch. So did my children!
Chinese Honey Chicken
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 15 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” chunks)
- Oil (for deep frying) – canola or vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup liquid egg (or 1 egg + 1 egg white)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil (or regular vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoon ginger (minced)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar (or apple vinegar)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 teaspoon water)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish)
- In a plastic ziplock bag, place chicken.
- Add cornstarch, flour, baking powder, and salt. Toss them together to coat the chicken evenly with the flour mixture.
- Add liquid egg (or 1 egg and 1 egg white) to the chicken. Close the plastic bag and toss them together to coat the chicken evenly with the egg mixture.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F. (Using a fryer is helpful. If you don’t own a fryer, heat oil in frying pan. To test if it’s ready to fry the chicken, add a pinch of flour to the oil. If the flour floats immediately making a sizzling sound, it’s ready.) Add the chicken and fry until dark golden brown.
- Make the sauce – Heat oil and add ginger and garlic, and stir until garlic turns golden brown. Add salt, honey, rice wine vinegar, and water to the pan, stirring occasionally. Add water and bring it to boiling. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together until smooth and add it to the sauce, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens. Reduce heat to simmer and add the fried chicken to the sauce, and stir to coat.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve over rice.