Jengban Guksu 쟁반국수
Wow, is everyone excited about the holiday tomorrow (for those who live in the USA)? I am! Mainly because my hub doesn’t have to work tomorrow. Which means he gets to be with me and the kids. I love it when he’s home with me. Trying to take care of the kids and writing this blog at the same time isn’t very easy! As I type this, my one year old is desperately trying to get on my lap and oh boy… He just bit my thigh! Ah, a joy of motherhood, eh?
I am happy to share with you all another great “Summer food” of Korea today. Not too long ago, I shared a very popular cold noodle dish called “Bibim Guksu” and this noodle dish is similar to that one, only it is served on a plate instead of a bowl. Also there is a few more fresh veggies added to the plate. The name of the dish is called “Jengban Guksu” which literally means “Plate noodles”.
Jengban guksu is a lot of fun to make. I loved selecting all the different veggies to use for this noodle plate. I used cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, green onions, and some imitation crab. They were all so delicious mixed together. However, you can add other veggies or omit some of the veggies or crabs I used.
Cook somen according to package instructions and immediately run cold water over it to cool down the noodles. It’s good to stir the noodles using chopsticks or by hand to cool down the noodles evenly.
While the noodles are cooking, prepare all the veggies and crabs on a plate like this.
Prepare the sauce by combining all the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
Place the noodles in the middle of the plate and pour desired amount of sauce over the noodles and serve with hard boiled eggs.
Mix everything together and enjoy!
- 1 bundle somen or soba, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 egg, hardboiled, cut into quarters
- ½ cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ½ carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 individually wrapped imitation crabs, cut into matchsticks (or use normal crabs if you can’t get individually wrapped ones)
- 3-4 lettuce leaves, shredded
- 1 green onion, cut into 2 inch long pieces
- For the Sauce: 2 tablespoons Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 2 tablespoons Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- When the noodles are cooked, run cold water over the noodles to cool it down. Stir well using chopsticks or by hand to cool it evenly. Set aside.
- Prepare all the vegetables and crabs and place them in a circle on a plate, shown in the pictures above.
- Place the prepared noodles in the middle of the plate.
- In a bowl, prepare the sauce by mixing all the sauce ingredients together. Pour the sauce over the noodles. Garnish with hardboiled eggs.
- Mix them all up and enjoy!
9 Responses to “Jengban Guksu 쟁반국수”
Pingback: 5 Korean Cold Noodle Recipes