Bibimbap is something that I always enjoy whenever my fridge goes empty. As long as I have the basic Korean ingredients like Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), sesame oil, and some sticky rice, I’m all set for Bibimbap any time of the day!
The typical Bibimbap calls for lots of different kinds of vegetables, like spinach, zucchini, bean sprouts, etc. I didn’t have any of that… so I created a Bibimbap with Kimchi. Bibimbap literally means “stirred rice”. You can stir rice with anything. A lot of people add Bulgogi to it, too.
Koreans eat lots of Banchan (side dishes) with their rice – so many times, when the ban chans are about to go bad, Koreans just put all of them together in a big bowl with rice, add some gochujang sauce and stir them all together to make a quick bibimbap and the whole family just digs in. That’s the kind that I love.
I just cut some kimchi small and I added some cucumbers and a fried egg. Then I sprinkled some dried seaweed (oiled and salted kind) over the rice. Mmm… and it was so delicious! If you have some Kimchi sitting in the fridge, try this. It’s wonderful and you can’t get more Korean than this!
Add some sauce to the rice and stir it well until the rice is red evenly. Top it with sliced Kimchi, cucumbers, and dried seaweed.
- 1½ – 2 cups white sticky rice
- ½ cup cut Kimchi
- ¼ cucumber, cut in matchsticks
- 2-3 dried seaweed (oiled and salted)
- 1 egg, fried
- Gochujang Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons Gochujang paste
- ½ tablespoon corn syrup or mulyeot
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves garlic)
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon Korean fine red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- To make gochujang sauce, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir well until smooth.
- In a bowl, stir together rice and the gochujang sauce (use about 2 tablespoonfuls of the sauce and add more if needed).
- Top it with Kimchi, cucumber, and dried seaweed and stir together with the rice again.
- Serve with one fried egg if desired.
Don't miss a post!