I. love. shrimp. Back in Korea, I didn’t get to eat shrimp much. I think there was only a few different times I got to eat shrimp in Korea and most of the time, it was in soup with other seafood. So I really appreciate the variety of ways to use shrimp here in America. I am a big fan of having shrimp as main dish. Shrimp has significantly lower calories than other types of meat. If you cook them the right way, they are a very healthy choice for anyone who is trying to lose a few pounds.
I’ve been trying to lose a few pounds lately. I was successfully able to lose 15 lbs back in May and I just kept the weight off until now. I still have about 15 more pounds to lose and I’ve been too lazy to do it, especially with all the yummy food I’ve been eating! But luckily, I haven’t gained weight, so I’m grateful.
So I went and bought a bunch of shrimp at Costco so that I could make more dinners using shrimp. A lot of people like to deep fry shrimp but if you deep fry them, there’s no point of eating shrimp for diet purposes.. duh! I grilled these shrimp, then stir fried with the sauce.
The orange sauce is sweet, citrusy with a little heat. If you don’t want it to be spicy, omit red pepper flakes. I fell in love with the sauce immediately after trying it.
You will need about 1 pound medium sized shrimp. Grill them outdoor or indoor, seasoning them with freshly ground black pepper.
Then make the orange sauce and stir with grilled shrimp in a pan, until the sauce thickens. (Do NOT put the shrimp in the sauce right away. Wait until the sauce thickens and add the shrimp!
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the sauce: ¼ cup soy sauce
- ⅛ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup orange juice or blood orange juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (less or more)
- ½ tablespoon dried chives (optional)
- sliced almonds (optional)
- Korean wrinkled chili peppers, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, optional
- Place shrimp on heated grill (outdoor or indoor). Season them with black pepper and grill until cooked.
- To make the sauce: combine soy sauce, ketchup, orange juice, honey, vinegar, garlic, chives (optional), and red pepper flakes in a bowl.
- Add the grilled shrimp to a pan over medium high heat. Add the prepared sauce to the pan and stir well. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. (If the sauce does not thicken — Seems to be a problem with a lot of people, then combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, mix well, then pour it into the sauce, strring frequently.)
- Sprinkle with almonds and Korean wrinkled chili peppers if desired and serve over a bed of steamed white rice.
32 Responses to “Orange Shrimp”
Pingback: Spicy Orange Shrimp | Grab a plate
Pingback: Savoury | Pearltrees
Pingback: Friday Favorites | thesweetooth
Pingback: Almost Silent Sunday - Whit Likes Fit
Pingback: Sunday Menu and Workout Planning |