I. love. shrimp. Back in Korea, I didn’t get to eat shrimp much. I think there was only a few different times I got to eat shrimp in Korea and most of the time, it was in soup with other seafood. So I really appreciate the variety of ways to use shrimp here in America. I am a big fan of having shrimp as main dish. Shrimp has significantly lower calories than other types of meat. If you cook them the right way, they are a very healthy choice for anyone who is trying to lose a few pounds.
I’ve been trying to lose a few pounds lately. I was successfully able to lose 15 lbs back in May and I just kept the weight off until now. I still have about 15 more pounds to lose and I’ve been too lazy to do it, especially with all the yummy food I’ve been eating! But luckily, I haven’t gained weight, so I’m grateful.
So I went and bought a bunch of shrimp at Costco so that I could make more dinners using shrimp. A lot of people like to deep fry shrimp but if you deep fry them, there’s no point of eating shrimp for diet purposes.. duh! I grilled these shrimp, then stir fried with the sauce.
The orange sauce is sweet, citrusy with a little heat. If you don’t want it to be spicy, omit red pepper flakes. I fell in love with the sauce immediately after trying it.
You will need about 1 pound medium sized shrimp. Grill them outdoor or indoor, seasoning them with freshly ground black pepper.
Then make the orange sauce and stir with grilled shrimp in a pan, until the sauce thickens. (Do NOT put the shrimp in the sauce right away. Wait until the sauce thickens and add the shrimp!
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the sauce: ¼ cup soy sauce
- ⅛ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup orange juice or blood orange juice
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (less or more)
- ½ tablespoon dried chives (optional)
- sliced almonds (optional)
- Korean wrinkled chili peppers, sliced (optional)
- Place shrimp on heated grill (outdoor or indoor). Season them with black pepper and grill until cooked.
- To make the sauce: combine soy sauce, ketchup, orange juice, honey, vinegar, garlic, chives (optional), and red pepper flakes in a bowl.
- Add the grilled shrimp to a pan over medium high heat. Add the prepared sauce to the pan and stir well. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with almonds and Korean wrinkled chili peppers if desired and serve over a bed of steamed white rice.
Don't miss a post!