I’ve been cooking different kinds of soup lately and I love them all. I love soup. I love that I can enjoy a great meal in one bowl. And they are so filling, too, which is perfect because I feel full after dinner even if I have a smaller bowl. I’ve been trying to lose weight and I’ve been cooking more healthy stuff. It’s been a week and I’ve already lost over 7 lbs! Don’t worry, I am eating…. a lot! Seriously, I’ve never eaten so much in my life! I eat all three meals, plus 2 snacks, and even a little dessert every night. And yes, I’ve been exercising one hour a day. I haven’t gone to the gym. I’ve been pushing a double stroller that weighs over 60 lbs with two kids in it, walking on a 3 1/2 mile long trail. Very hilly!
I’ve been trying to control my appetite a little bit – trying to eat only one serving for dinner. I do feel hungry when I go to bed… but I guess I have to fight it a little. I plan to share some of my meal plans with you in a month or two when I get some real good result. I have about 20 more lbs to lose to really get down to the weight I want to be at. I am so eager to reach that goal. I just really need to stay motivated. :)
Like the name says, this soup has two kinds of peas. Split peas and regular frozen peas. This soup is fantastic with roasted vegetables, such as carrots, celery, and garlic. They blended well with the peas. One bowl of this delicious and healthy soup definitely filled me up! I added some ham and a sprinkle of bacon bits to this soup…. So Good!
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges (optional: I didn’t add this but all you onion lovers out there, add it!)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 thick slices ham-off-the-bone lunch meat, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup dried split peas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 16ounce package frozen green peas
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ground black pepper
- bacon crumbles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a shallow baking pan, combine carrots, celery, onion, and garlic together. Drizzle olive oil and toss them together to coat. Spread them in one layer and roast for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are light brown on edges, stirring once.
- In a large Dutch oven, bring the water to boiling and add the cubed ham and continue to boil for about 10 minutes. Using a netted colander, scoop out the ham from the water, and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the roasted vegetables, split peas, oregano, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes, or until the split peas are softened.
- Stir frozen peas and basil into Dutch oven. Cool slightly. Transfer vegetable mixture, half at a time, to a food processor or a blender. Cover and process or blend until nearly smooth. Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in lemon juice.
- Stir the cooked ham in the pureed soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve, topped with about one tablespoon bacon crumbles, if desired.
Don't miss a post!