Wow… I just realized that the last time I posted a new recipe was back in August. It’s official. I’m a terrible blogger. I know I say this all the time but I have been really busy with life. Remember I was trying to lose weight? Well, I did it. I lost 43 lbs since April and I am happier with the way I look and feel now. I still have a few more pounds I want to lose but with my trip to Korea next week and everything else, that will have to wait until January. I will definitely do a post on my weight loss journey sometime, probably sometime in January when I get back.
But first, I wanted to share this new recipe I got to try about a month ago. I was in the mood of making rolls one day. I know, how can someone just be in the mood of making rolls, right? But I was. I hadn’t made homemade rolls in quite some time so I thought I’d make some. And I was so glad that I did because these rolls instantly became my favorite roll recipe!
These rolls were light and fluffy! And they are made with whole wheat flour, mixed with all purpose flour. Most rolls made with only whole wheat tend to be heavy in texture… But whole wheat flour is mixed with regular white flour, the rolls turn out moist and fluffy, just like regular rolls made with only white flour.
I found this recipe on Allrecipes. I made a couple changes, like the shape of the rolls and I used light butter instead of regular butter. But they still turned out amazing!
These rolls would be perfect for Holiday meals! So be sure to save the recipe for the upcoming holidays!
Light Wheat Rolls
yield: 24 ROLLS
prep time: 2 HOURS 45 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 3 HOURS
- 2 (25 ounce) packages active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons in a package)
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F.)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Mix sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, egg, and whole wheat flour into yeast mixture. Stir in all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth or towel, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down down dough. Divide the dough into four equal portions. Then divide each portions into 6 equal portions to make 24 rolls. Follow this tutorial to shape your rolls round and smooth.
- Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 30 minutes, until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.