Have you all been enjoying the nice, warm weather lately? Or is it just in California? It’s been over 70 degrees here lately and I’m loving it. I’ve been getting out more with the boys, walking, biking and having fun at the park. I’m wondering if this means the summer is going to get here earlier than normal.
Today, I’d like to share a pretty healthy meatball recipe that I love. Every once in a while, I crave meatballs – but most meatballs are not very healthy. But these meatballs are leaner than most meatballs, they are made with ground turkey and stuffed with pieces of part skim Mozzarella sticks.
I like to season meatballs with different seasonings; but you can use the seasoning you have at home. I love adding garlic salt (the kind that is mixed with herbs), smoked paprika (use normal paprika if you don’t have any smoked, dried oregano, and salt and pepper. I used egg beaters instead of regular eggs. They still stick well together.
If you have young children like me, part skim Mozzarella cheese sticks are a must have in the fridge! I was so glad to use these up in my cooking. Cut the sticks into 1/2-inch thickness.
Place one piece of Mozzarella cheese inside each meatballs.
And ta-da, melty cheesy turkey meatballs. You can serve these meatballs with your favorite sauce and even noodles. I didn’t cook any noodles because I am trying to cut back on carbs. If you like spicy, then add a little red pepper flakes, too.
Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Meatballs
- 1 package lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup egg beaters (liquid egg)
- ¼ cup Panko or Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
- salt and black pepper
- 2 Mozzarella cheese sticks, cut into 1½ inch thick pieces.
- Your favorite pasta sauce
- In bowl, combine ground turkey, egg beaters, panko (or bread crumbs), Italian seasoning (or oregano), smoked paprika, garlic salt, and salt and pepper, and mix it altogether until it’s well mixed.
- Place about a tablespoonful meat mixture on your palm, flatten it, and place a piece of mozzarella cheese in the middle, cover it, making it a round ball. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 15-18 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.